Sunday, February 27, 2005

I swear, it wasn't the drugs

So I've done it. I've applied to culinary school.

Can I just mention that I didn't miss filling out applications and financial aid forms? And that I don't relish the "mandatory loan meeting" that I will have to attend if I am indeed offered student loans. What are they going to tell me that I don't already know, as someone who had student loans in her younger life, and paid them off some time ago? That the loan money cannot be used to finance a trip to Paris. That I must begin repaying the loan within six months of graduating or abandoning my education. That there is (gasp) interest on the loan. That if I default on the loan, government agents will hunt me down and kill me. (OK, I totally made that last part up.) No, I understand why every loanee has to attend those meetings (sigh). It's because there are enough stupid people who don't know the difference between a grant and a loan, and you can't always tell who the stupid people are just by looking at them. So everyone must suffer.

I have to get a food handler's card, too. Which apparently requires that I sacrifice two hours of my life for a class and test. ("What? Raw meat can't be stored at room temperature? Color me shocked!") Never mind that I once had a food handlers card...literally half of my lifetime ago. Egads!

One bright point (perhaps): Because I was neither a priviledged nor difficult-to-handle child, my parents decided that public schools were quite sufficient for my educational purposes. Translation: I never had to (got to?) wear a school uniform. That is about to change! We're talking white chef's jacket, ubiquitous black-and-white checked pants, chef's hat, and little neck kerchief thingy. He Who Puts Up With Me is quite jealous about the hat and kerchief. Hee!

As part of the taking-up-time-I-don't-have admissions process, I had to have my former university (Go Ducks!) send the culinary school a copy of my official transcript. Just for fun, I had the university send me one, too. And can I just say...there are classes on there that I have NO recollection of taking. And no, I don't think the university is lying. And no, I wasn't in a drug-induced haze when I was supposed to be going to class (I pretty much avoided illegal substances in college). Apparently, in winter of 1991 I took a geography class...and got a C+. Yikes. I did, however, remember the C I got in calculus winter term of my freshman year. But I blame that on the case of mono that slammed me two weeks before finals. (Incidentally, I hated calculus. I only took it because I didn't make it that far in high school, and it was like some stupid badge of honor that I take it in college.) Hmmm...I'd forgotton how I totally kicked ass in almost every single one of my sociology classes (that was my minor). All in all, not too shabby.

In other news. 56 days until U2!


No comments: