Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Sailing away

My intent this morning was to slip in a few minutes of studying along with my breakfast. Instead, I end up standing at my kitchen sink, mug of coffee in one hand, toasted baguette with butter and marmalade (I found a jar hidden behind the tea in my pantry...so happy!) in the other...while an enormous cruise ship, well, cruised on by.

As the Celebrity ship slowly made it's way along the Elliot Bay waterfront (it never ceases to amaze me how close to shore they get), its hulking size filled the view through my sliding doors, all but obscuring West Seattle in the distance. I swear, I could almost count the deck chairs.

I have mixed feelings about cruise ships. First, I hate it when the tourists these ships deposit clog up my beloved Pike Place Market while I'm actually trying to shop for produce, then back up the line at Starbucks while they hem and haw and dither and try to decide what to order (honestly, you would think these people had never ordered coffee before). Second, the cruise industry is not exactly environmentally friendly.

In spite of my misgivings, I seldom fail to be impressed by the sheer size of these waterbound creatures, and the fact that they move so swiftly, with so little wake.

Reading about how to assemble an Opera Cake will just have to wait.

No comments: