Wednesday, September 03, 2008

No big government? For who?

I had no plans to ever address politics on my wee little blog, but I just about choked on my leftover spaghetti (with sauce made from homegrown tomatoes...see how frugal I am during these tough economic times?) listening to Meg Whitman, the former president and CEO of eBay, talk about how Republicans want to reduce "big government," because we as individuals and families have ultimate responsibility for ourselves [I'm paraphrasing here, and while I captured the gist of it, I will try to find a transcript later].

Really? I, as an American citizen, have responsibility for myself? Government shouldn't be trying to run my life? Then why does the Republican Party platform say that if I have an unwanted pregnancy, I should be forced to carry that pregnancy to term?

Pardon me for feeling that a government that would dare to force me to breed against my will is a very big government indeed.

And now, please excuse me while I go dig my rhinestone donkey broach out of my jewelry box. It's going to see A LOT of wear time between now and Election Day.

No comments: