Monday, March 30, 2009

Sloppy Sunday

More signs of spring! Just look at that rhubarb plant. I think it's doubled in size since last weekend.

No discernible signs of life from the vegetable seeds I planted outside last week, but it's early (and cold) days yet. Jeff helped me tie one of our grapevines to it's overhead arbor, and I finally got around to planting my Cascadia peas.

I didn't get a lot of gardening done, because I was busy in the kitchen. I don't make quiche Lorraine very often, what with all the cream and egg (2 + 2 yolks) and Gruyere and bacon and buttery crust, but I hadn't made it in ages, and it sounded perfect for lunch with a green salad. Quiche fall under the category of things I don't make often because I make them the right (read: delicious) way, and not the compromise low-fat, low-taste way. I'd rather have it a few times a year and really enjoy it. (Ezell's chicken also falls in that category, although we don't make it ourselves, clearly.)

Dinner's main course was a grass-fed eye of round roast (always wonderful...I so love our beef people), prepared with a rub of Dijon mustard, red wine, minced garlic, salt, pepper and dried herbs. Dessert was a simple, delicious EVO and yogurt loaf cake.

The weather made long walks and gardening much more appealing on Sunday, which, along with the large servings of vegetables I downed, provided some semblance of balance against the liberties I took with the home bar. [Hangs head in shame.]

I was planning on, and looking forward to, enjoying a glass of porter while I made dinner, and a second one with dinner. I was not planning on the martini and the red wine. Sheesh. That's a lot of calories, although according to a recent study I read about, I'm protecting my bones!

Sunday, March 29

Breakfast: Cafe au lait; one piece sprouted grain toast w/ 1 tbs natural peanut butter and 2 tsp marmalade; 1 c. fresh pineapple and mango; 16 oz. water.
Morning workout:
4-mile speed walk (with some hills)
Snack: Apple + 10 almonds; 16 oz. water; cafe au lait.
Lunch:
Quiche Lorraine; mixed green salad w/ oil & vinegar; 4 oz. fresh squeezed orange juice; 16 oz. water.

Afternoon workout:
2.2-mile walk (with stops, thanks to dog).

Cocktail hour:
2 12-oz glasses of porter; 1 small (1 oz.) martini w/ 1 olive & 1 onion; 1 oz. mixed nuts; 16 oz. water.

Dinner:
5.5 oz. lean roast beef; mixed green salad w/ oil and vinegar; 1.5 c. steamed broccoli; 4 oz. red wine; 8 oz. mineral water.

Snack: Olive oil/yogurt/lime cake; cafe Americano.

No comments: