Thursday, March 24, 2005

Words of wisdom

My feelings about the Terri Schiavo case are intense, to say the least. To sum them up in a few words: "Let the woman die in peace. Her dead brain cells will never regenerate, therefore she will never emerge from her 'persistant vegetative state.' "

So many facets of this case have made me want to throw heavy objects at my TV or computer screen (depending on where I am getting my news at the moment), but this morning I felt a touch of peace myself. First, because I was greeted with the news that the U.S. Supreme Court has yet again refused to consider her case. Second, because of the way that musician Moby so succinctly voiced so many of my own arguments, protests and frustrations on his Web site:

"Again, I don't want to get drawn into the Terry Schiavo debate. It makes me sad and uncomfortable that politicians have taken this incredibly personal and tragic story and turned it into a political football. ... My note to the far-right would be: you can't have it both ways. If you genuinely believe in the sanctity of life then you cannot support the death penalty and you cannot allow people to buy automatic assault weapons and you cannot support wars that result in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent people. And if you genuinely believe in states rights then you can't pass intrusive federal legislation when the states do things that you arbitrarily disagree with."

Thanks Moby. You rock. And I am so going to buy your new CD. (P.S. You were great on "The Apprentice." You came across like the genuinely cool human being I always suspected you were.)

No comments: