Monday, May 09, 2005

Burning that candle

Shame on me for being a sporadic blogger. I shift the blame for that sin, however, to the fact that I have been doing penance for a second sin: failing to take proper care of myself.

Take this weekly schedule: full-time, job, 15 hours of baking & pastry classes, one intense bellydance class, requisite daily dog walks, morning workouts five days a week, studying, tending my community garden plot, sewing a costume for whatever bellydance performance is looming on the horizon, (sadly minimal) meal preparation, enough cleaning to prevent the apartment from becoming a total stye, laundry, and daily grooming (so I don't look like I live in a stye).

Then, add to that my three consecutive nights of sleep deprivation due to the aforementoned baking & pastry classes (which don't end until well past my normal bedtime), and stack on two more as a result of two back-to-back rockin' U2 concerts. Is it any wonder I was nearly knocked to my knees by a nasty cold.

When I woke up two mornings after the second U2 concert feeling like my throat had been stripped with sandpaper, I suspected it was too much to hope that it was a slighly delayed reaction to screaming my devoted lungs out when my boys were on stage.

My suspictions were confirmed the following morning, when I was greeted upon awakening by a sore throat + stuffy nose.

Now, almost two weeks later, I am still not completely recovered. It probably didn't help that during the worst three days of my illness, I had to deal with midterms (two days of practical exams, and one day of written exams). And yes, I feel as guilty as hell that I went to class while sick (I did work from home, however, to protect my co-workers from the worst of my contagiousness).

So, as I battle the dregs of coughing and occasional nose-blowing, I resolve to sleep more and eat better. And to take pity on He Who Puts Up With Me, who started developing his own sore throat the other day...sorry, babe!

No comments: