Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Decay and decline

I'm trying to decide which body part is most likely to give out while I'm at the office. My brain, from atrophy? My eyes, from excessive rolling? Or my butt, from excessive sitting? Maybe I should start an office pool.

In other workplace news, I was equally horrified and delighted when mere moments before I stepped out to meet He Who Puts Up With Me for a little jaunt to the library, my boss had spied and greeted him while leaving to go to an appointment.

So what? Well, what could have been a run-of-the-mill exchange of pleasantries between two people who had briefly met only once before took a severely ironic turn when HWPUWM accidentally called my boss by the wrong name. And not just any wrong name...the name of my boss's predecessor.

This little social misstep was made all the more potent by the fact that for a good few months after my boss started working here, he took every opportunity to thrash and trash his predecesor (who happened to be a very talented, intelligent, funny and all-around good guy), ripping on the work he had done and questioning his skills and experience. This continued until a few pissed-off souls from other departments told him to knock it the hell off.

So of course it was to those very souls I ran with this little tale the moment I set foot back in the office. They were as delighted as I was.

No comments: