Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Kickin' my own butt

I started a new weight lifting routine yesterday, courtesy of my new bible, The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess.

You wouldn't think that a workout with only five exercises could leave a person whimpering the next day, yet begging for more. But I'm telling you it can.

The premise of the workout plan is that you work all the muscles in your body three days a week (alternating days). You won't find a bicep curl, calf raise or tricep extension in the bunch. Instead, you do big moves that work multiple muscles.

Here's an overview of the "A" workout from Stage 1:
  • Squat (2 sets of 15 reps)
  • Superset: Pushups (2 sets of 15 reps) and bent barbell row (2 sets of 15)
  • Superset: Lunges (2 sets of 15) and a wicked stability ball ab exercise (2 sets of 8)
Oh, how my abs and chest are complaining this morning. In a good way, of course.

The book offers 6 months of workouts, changing things every several weeks to keep the muscles guessing. I'm also following the nutrition guidance in the book, since building a better body has perhaps more to do with good nutrition than it does with exercise.

Although I'm at a weight I am OK with, I want to build muscle and reduce body fat. I took a big leap of faith yesterday and had J photograph me in a bikini, front, side and back views. Much better than it would have been 48 pounds ago, but there is still work to be done. And having a series of photographs as a visual tracker will be valuable.

Monday's workouts:
Morning: Rachel Brice's Tribal Fusion - Yoga Isolations & Drills for Bellydance (30 minute practice)
After work: NROWLFW Stage 1, Workout A

Monday's food overview (aiming for 30% protein, 40% carbs, 30% fat):
2126 calories (26% protein, 38% carbs, 32% fat, 4% alcohol)

Tuesday's workouts:
Morning: Disc 1 of Sacred Bellydance (90 minutes)
Noon: 4-mile brisk walk

Tuesday's food overview:
1888 calories (31% protein, 26% carbs. 32% fat, 11% alcohol)
Should not have had that pre-dinner cocktail...

No comments: