Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Gifts that keep on giving

With the exception of a box of Applets & Cotlets and a tacky cut lead crystal vase (both from the same relative), Christmas 2005 was a good year for gifts.

By that, I don't mean I hit the motherload (that would have been Christmas 2004, the year of the Kate Spade purse and the special edition U2 iPod), I mean that everything I got was something I would actually enjoy and/or use.

Some nice bottles of wine (and Johnny Walker and Tanqueray No. Ten for He Who Puts Up With Me), yummy candles, a pair of sinfully soft black leather gloves, a divine Global cheese knife, a badly needed warm scarf, better coffee mugs than the ones I already have, an adorable bracelet, a book I wanted, and cash and gift cards to buy more books I want...as well as the cute, comfy Dansko "Mariel" mary janes I picked up at Nordstrom today.

HWPUWM and I decided not to exchange gifts this year, what with last year's excess (but I don't believe for a second that it was really Santa who put that scarf and cheese knife in my stocking), but we did hit the post-Christmas sales a bit. We found steep discounts on some necessities like new bedding, but I also scored massive deals on some cute cardigans I'd been watching at Macy's, and a cheerful pink striped shirt from Banana Republic. Oh, and a silver leather case for my iPod.

Ho, ho, ho.

No comments: